Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance is money to help you pay your rent. If you have a low income you may be able to claim Housing Benefit or Local Housing Allowance.

Council Tax Support is money to help you pay your council tax.

How do I claim?
If you want to claim benefit or support you can download a form, or you can telephone us 01642 774 774 and we will send you form.
To download a form please scroll to the bottom of the page.

Benefits Calculator You can use this calculator to get an estimate as to whether you may qualify for some assistance

Important- Housing Benefit changes effective from 7th November 2016

Welfare Reform - Benefit Cap
The government introduced a limit to the total amount of benefits that couples, lone parents and single people receive, based on an average income of a working household. This means that the maximum weekly benefit will be capped at £257.69 for single claimants, and £384.62 for all other claimants.

The Benefit Cap will be introduced in the Borough of Redcar and Cleveland by the end of September 2013.

The benefit cap will not apply to the following residents:

  • Couples who are of pension age
  • Households where one or more members receive Working Tax Credit
  • Households where at least one member receives Disability Living Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, Personal Independence Payment, Industrial Injuries Benefits or Employment and Support Allowance, if paid with the support component
  • Households where one member receives War Widow's or War Widower's Pension

What benefits count towards the cap?
The cap will apply to the total income a household receives from:
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Child Benefit
  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Carers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (except where paid with support) component
  • Guardians Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parents / Mothers Allowance
  • Widows Pension

How will the cap be applied?
If you get more benefits than the maximum entitlement, then the cap will be applied through deductions from Housing Benefit payments. This means that you will need to make up the shortfall in the rent yourself.

How much will I lose?
Find out how the benefit cap will affect you personally by using the benefit cap calculator. Visit Benefit cap calculator

Where can I get more information?
You can contact the Government's Benefit Cap helpline number on 0845 605 7064.


 icon Claim form notes.pdf (398.91k)
Last modified: 26/03/2013 09:44:18

 icon Changes in Circumstances form.pdf (374.76k)
Last modified: 26/03/2013 09:44:18

* Link will open in a pop-up window
Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Council Tax & Benefits

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search
Council Tax, Benefits and Advice
Discretionary Housing Payments
Council Tax, Benefits and Advice
Council Tax, Benefits and Advice