Discretionary Social Fund

Are you in need of financial help due to a crisis?

Are you resettling into the community and in need of financial help?

If you answered yes to one of these questions, and you think you may be eligible for Social Fund assistance, please call 01642 771276.
The Financial Support Team will be able to advise you whether you may be eligible and how to claim.

The Council's Social Fund scheme offers financial assistance to residents who have had a disaster, are in crisis or require financial help to settle
into the community if they are vulnerable.

There are two areas of assistance:

1) Daily Living Expenses
This is for people who are in short-term severe financial crisis and require assistance to be able to meet basic essential needs, such as food,
gas/electricity or clothing.

How is it paid? The Council will decide how much assistance to provide. Successful applicants will be given a pre-loaded All-Pay card which
can be used in shops to purchase food/clothing or top-up gas/electricity pre-payment meters.

2) Resettlement Loans
This is for vulnerable adults who require assistance to settle into the community or people who have been victim of a disaster, such as fire or
major flood, and require assistance to purchase white goods (e.g. fridges and cookers) and/or furniture (e.g. beds and sofas).

How is it paid? - If awarded a Resettlement Loan, the claimant will need to sign a loan agreement with the Credit Union for the cost of the item(s).
The Council will then buy the goods and they will be delivered to the claimant.

The Councils Social Fund Policy is viewable as a PDF attachment at the bottom of this page.

The eligibility for assistance will be on the merit of each application received. Redcar and Cleveland Borough Council will have sole discretion in deciding Social Fund awards.

I've been advised to claim. How do I do this?

click here to claim online - Discretionary Social Fund

Once you have completed a claim, a decision will be made and you will be contacted to let you know if it has been successful. Please note, you may be required to provide evidence to support your claim.

Claiming Social Fund payments from the Council is an online process. You will need to make your own arrangements to do this.

If you do not have an online facility, you will be able to use a computer with access to the internet (free of charge) at any one of the Councils libraries. Alternatively a family member may have internet access . You can also make applications via internet enabled smartphones and tablets.

If you are unable to make an online application and you are a Housing Association tenant you may be able to get help from your landlord.

Help outside of office hours
If you have a crisis or emergency situation involving child protection, child care, mental health and other adult service matters, the Emergency Duty Service will provide a point for advice and where necessary immediate service to individuals and families who are experiencing crisis in their lives. For more information click the following link Emergency Duty Service.

Download Attachments:
.pdf fileDiscretionary Social Fund Scheme Policy 2017-18.pdf (309k)

Last modified: 16/08/2017 10:50:01

Bookmark and Share

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK

Last updated:

Assigned review date:

Awaiting page content review by the allocated team

Page Section:
Council Tax & Benefits

Footer images
Resident Business The Council Visit Jobs #skip_navigation News A to Z Access Keys Homepage What's New Site Map FAQs Help Complaints Terms & Conditions Contact Us Search